Saturday, April 4, 2009
Leah Piken Kolidas
What's new in 2009:
- In 2009, I'm going to try out a couple new things. For one, I will be doing a monthly theme. The themes will be purely for inspirational purposes and to give some focus to anyone who needs it. You can use the monthly theme to help spur you on or ignore it. It's entirely up to you!
- January's (totally optional) theme is: Play!
- February's (totally optional) theme is: Words
- March's (totally optional) theme is: Dreams
- April's (totally optional) theme is: Color
- I will post about the next month's theme about a week before the month starts on the Creative Every Day blog.
- I'm also going to be posting interviews with people about their creative habits, so if you have any suggestions of people you'd like to hear from, let me know!
How to Participate:
- There are a variety of ways to participate. These ways are here for you to enjoy, not to pressure you, so use any or all of them as you see fit. You can post on your blog about your creative activities, you can post images on flickr, you can comment on my weekly CED blog posts with what you're up to, or use the "Mr. Linky" widget to share a link to a specific blog post or image.
- Participate in any way that makes sense for you. I think it's helpful to share with the community what you're up to as it can be incredibly fun and inspirational. But don't let it stress you out. Make it doable for you.
- There's a flickr group for this project where you can share images of your creativity (it's not required, just another way to share and see what others are doing.) You can sign up for the flickr group for free here.
- You can post about your creativity in whatever form feels best for you. You can post about it on your blog daily, weekly, monthly or however feels best. A blog isn't even required to participate! If you don't have a blog, you can share what you're up to in the comments on my blog or on the flickr group.
- I will also be posting a weekly Creative Every Day Challenge post where you can use the "Mr. Linky" widget to post the url of your blog posts or links to images for the week. I post this every Monday. Here's an example of one of these posts so you'll know what to look for.
In case you're interested, here's the background on the challenge:
I started the Creative Every Day Challenge in 2008 and I welcome anyone who is interested, to join in!
Every November, I loved the way the "Art Every Day Month" challenge (AEDM) created a great sense of community, brought people with different styles and backgrounds together, and gave me a kick in the butt to keep on creating when I might otherwise have done nothing. I'd been wanting to find a way to extend the process, but as much as I admired those who created and posted a piece of art every day of the year, I knew that would burn me out. Besides, it was not really my goal to create a piece of art every day. But I did want to be creative every day.
Originally, I was going to call my blog, "Everyday Creative" which to me means a person who is creative in their day-to-day life whether that be through making a piece of artwork or doodling on a receipt or cooking something or taking a walk to gain inspiration in the colors of nature or re-decorating a room or knitting or whatever! That domain name was taken, so I went with CreativeEveryDay.com and included Everyday Creative in the tag line. One of the things I aspire to, is to be creative every day and also to inspire creativity in others, whether that be through my blog, my art, through leading groups like AEDM, or through someday leading workshops or writing a book. I know that challenging myself in specific ways helps to keep me productive, so I'm hoping this challenge will serve as a daily reminder of what I want for myself.
I loved doing CED in 2008. I met some wonderful people and having the challenge, helped keep creativity as a focus in my daily life. I believe that what we focus on expands and that was certainly the case for me and many other participants. So I decided to continue in 2009. I created a new logo for 2009 and I've posted it above. It will also be in my sidebar along with a list of those who are participating. You don't need a blog to participate! Again, this will be a very low pressure challenge. I won't be the creativity police with you (or myself!) The idea behind it will be to encourage myself and others to find creativity in every day and in the everyday things of life. I won't post daily because I think that would be a bit too much of a burden for me, but I will post about every day's creativity in some form or another. And I'll encourage others to do the same, whether that be every day, every few days, once a week or once a month. Throughout the year, I'll also be posting creativity tips that help me and hopefully will provide some inspiration to anyone looking to infuse their life with more creative goodness or who might need a little push to get out of a stuck place. If you have questions or want to join in, feel free to pop me an email or leave a comment on any post on my blog here.
Thanks and happy creating!
Posting the CED button:
In order to use the Creative Every Day Challenge button, located in the sidebar (and below), simply right-click on the image (ctrl-click for mac users) and save it to your computer. Different blogging applications have different ways of adding images to your blog, but all have help sections which should be able to direct you to instructions on how to do it.http://creativeeveryday.com/creative-every-day-challenge